Back to Top

Will I have to go to court?

Unless there is a trial, you or your spouse will have to appear at a final hearing in order to get the Decree of Dissolution entered. This is called a “prove-up”.

It is held in open court, usually only with the judge and the court reporter present. Either you or your spouse are sworn in and then asked basic questions in order to prove the allegation in the Petition for Dissolution. These include: name, legal residence, how long you have been in Nebraska, date of the marriage, date of separation, names and ages of the children (if applicable) and if you believe the marriage is irretrievably broken. These hearings generally take between five and ten minutes.